The Mets improved to .500 yesterday, but that doesn’t matter. What does matter: for a second straight day the Mets looked to be firing on all cylinders with their offense flowing and their pitching stiffing.
Yesterday d’Arnaud, Rosario and McNeil all hit homers. Travis needed it as he is deep in a roster fight right now. Rosario was coming back from an injury and showed that he could pick up where he left off. Jeff was playing third today for the first time this spring. Since 2 of his 3 hits are homers, he has has a .231 BA but a .923 OPS (Small Sample Size Fun). Matz was dominate tossing 4.0 scoreless innings allowing 3 hits and a walk. Gsellman bounced back with with a scoreless outing. Wilson had a scoreless outing (finally!). For the second straight day it was good to look at the Mets box score.
- Brandon Nimmo (CF)
- Jeff McNeil (3B)
- Robinson Cano (2B)
- Michael Conforto (RF)
- Pete Alonso (1B)
- Danny Espinosa (DH)
- Gregor Blanco (LF)
- Devin Mesoraco (C)
- Amed Rosario (SS)
Starting Pitching: Jason Vargas
Other Things To Watch For:
- Through Amed Rosario’s 6 games and 17 PA’s, he’s hitting .500/.588/1.071. Obvisously a small sample size.
- This afternoon is Jeff McNeilk’s second game at third base signaling that the Mets are preparing to open the season without Frazier and without Lowrie. At some point the Mets will have to signal who the next outfielder to replace McNeil will be. We can assume right now it’s Lagares
- Jason Vargas will get his third start of spring today. So far he has allowed 1 run off 5 hits and 2 walks in 4.1 innings. Following the pattern of other starters, its safe to assume the Mets will try to get him about 4 innings of work today.
- Luis Avilan is listed as available out of the pen today and is having a spring that should be heading towards a roster spot. He’s pitched 5.2 innings in 5 games this year without allowing any runs and striking out 7.
- Alonso is still smashing the baseball this spring with a .414/.469/.828 line over 32 PA’s and 10 games. That’s tremendous.
Let’s Go Mets!